Hey everyone! For the month of August I have decided to participate in a nail art challenge hosted by Bianka,@nbnailart. Bianka seems to host nail art challenges every month, also under the dedicated account @glamnailschallenge. I absolutely love the quality of the manis this girl creates, so I’m excited to participate in this latest challenge!
The fifth prompt for this challenge was Constellations. I have definitely been a sucker for space or galaxy manis ever since I tried them for the first time using the January Maniology Mani X Me subscription box. In that month’s box we got two stamping plates, one of which has incredible space designs on it. So it was a no brainer that I would be using that plate again!
Also, for the first time ever I have made a video tutorial of this mani! Scroll to the end of this post to see the magic!
This mani definitely involved a bit more free hand than I have done lately! Using a small piece of cosmetic sponge wedge (literally ripped off from a sponge), I dabbed on multiple shades of polish to mimic a galaxy across the nail. The shades I used were all sheer metallics (except for white) with different coloured reflects, which were meant to mimic how different gases look in space. I then used the stamping plate to transfer a few constellations and other stars.
- For this manicure, I started by applying my favourite base coat, Orly Bonder, to all of my nails.
- I painted all of my nails black (China Glaze Liquid Leather).
- I then used a small piece of sponge torn off of a cosmetic sponge wedge with tweezers to dab on white nail polish (China Glaze White on White), and many different colours of sheer metallic polishes (Cirque Colors Dusky Skies, Velvetine, Hygge, Nocturne, Earthen) with a reflect across the nail in different patterns to look like areas of galaxy and different gases. I didn’t use all of the colours on the same nail, just a selection on each so as not to cover up the white or black areas of the nail completely.
- To add a few more “stars” to the galaxies, I applied a scattered holo polish (China Glaze Fairy Dust) just to the galaxy areas of the nail. I found that last time when I was doing a space mani, that applying the scattered holo over the entire nail made it look a bit too busy.
- I then used the stamping plate from the Maniology Mani X Me subscription box M001 to transfer different constellation and star designs on to each nail using a white stamping polish (Born Pretty #4). My favourite XL jelly stamper is from What’s Up Nails.
- Lastly, I also used a toothpick to dot on a few more small white stars around the nail.
- I finished off the mani by applying the Maniology No Smudge Nail Polish Top Coat (Use code SUPERNOVA10 to save 10% off Maniology purchases (affiliate)), followed by my regular glossy top coat (Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat).
I am totally in love with this space mani. I don’t know what it is, but there’s just something about a space mani that is always stunning! Watch my video tutorial below to see the process!
Loving this mani? Check out my last mani for this August Glam Nails Challenge!