Hey everyone! For the month of August I have decided to participate in a nail art challenge hosted by Bianka,@nbnailart. Bianka seems to host nail art challenges every month, also under the dedicated account @glamnailschallenge. I absolutely love the quality of the manis this girl creates, so I’m excited to participate in this latest challenge!
The second prompt for this challenge was Mermaid. Now I typically don’t indulge in mermaid paraphernalia of any kind mostly because they are so overdone at this point. There have literally been mermaids everywhere you look for at least two years now. However, something that I have always been able to get down with is the Little Mermaid. So, I created a Little Mermaid mani using the two Maniology stamping plates, one from May’s Mani X Me subscription (MXM007), and another from their permanent collection (BM-XL211).
For this mani I mostly used reverse stamping as the technique. I wanted to add lots of details to the designs with different polish colours. What reverse stamping means is that you transfer the pattern from the plate onto your stamper with a polish shade that you want to be your outline, and then you fill in the design with different polish colours directly on the stamper. After that has dried, you can then stamp the whole pattern onto your nail.
- For this manicure, I started by applying my favourite base coat, Orly Bonder, to all of my nails.
- I painted all of my nails a beige creme (Zoya Leigh) to acts as a neutral background and as an easy way to do her skin tone.
- I then used the reverse stamping technique with a black stamping polish (Born Pretty Store #3) with different parts from the mermaid design on the Maniology MXM007 plate for each finger except the ring finger. For her hair I used many different shades of creme and metallic red polishes (Zoya Marcy, Zoya Carmen, Zoya Marigold), along with a gold (Zoya Astrid) and a pink (Zoya Tessa) for the shells and starfish in her hair. For her shell bra I used a sparkly purple (Zoya Hudson), and for her tail a shimmery green purple duochrome (Cirque Colors Taos).
- For the ring finger I simply stamped on one of the cute sayings from the BM-XL211 plate along with a silhouette of Ariel using the same black stamping polish.
- I finished off the mani by applying the Maniology No Smudge Nail Polish Top Coat (Use code SUPERNOVA10 to save 10% off Maniology purchases (affiliate)), followed by my regular glossy top coat (Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat).
I really love how this Little Mermaid mani turned out. It feels authentic with a bit more flair.
Loving this mani? Check out my last mani for this August Glam Nails Challenge!