Hello everyone! Here is my last late post for October: My thoughts on the BoxyCharm that we received for October.
What is it? A monthly beauty subscription box that includes 4-5 full-sized and luxury-sized products from various companies.
USA: $21 USD/Month + FREE shipping.
CANADA: $21 USD + $5 USD Shipping –> Ends up being ~$33 CAD with the exchange rate.
October BoxyCharm: Spellbound
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $58 USD for 2 oz
Claims: “This obsessively-targeted, dual exfoliator features precision-sized crystals to deep-clean and refine pores to the vanishing point.
- helps unclog and refine the appearance of pores
- provides dual exfoliation: physical + chemical to effectively remove dead skin and improves skin’s texture
- Paraben free
- Sulfate free
- Phthalate free”
Has the special ingredients:
- “MICRO-SIZE ALUMINUM OXIDE CRYSTALS: Blend of smaller crystals targeted to deep clean pores and improve skin texture.
- CAVIAR LIME EXTRACT: Improves exfoliation; promotes a smoother, brighter, and even complexion.
- SALICYLIC ACID: Helps unclog pores.
- LENTIL SEED EXTRACT: Refines the look of pores.”
- My first thought upon seeing this product is that you get such a tiny bottle for $58 USD! I definitely had a hard time believing that the bottle that we received was the full size, because it’s really not that big!
- This is a great scrub. It has a gel/creamy consistency that has a lot of scrubby particles in it. One of my complaints with some scrubs is that the gel to scrub ratio is off, with there being just too much gel and not enough scrubbing action (See my review of the Body Shop Tea Tree Squeaky-Clean Exfoliating Scrub).
- I see that the scrubbing crystals are aluminum oxide, which is typical for microdermabrasion products. If the fact that you see aluminum there scares you, don’t let it. This form of aluminum does not absorb into your skin (unlike antiperspirants that have aluminum), and is regarded as safe for cosmetic purposes.
- Because this scrub is so dense, you really do get a deep clean. I would be careful with pressing too hard when scrubbing, in order to avoid micro-tears in your skin. You’re supposed to scrub with this product for at least one minute, so take it easy.
- Overall, this is an amazing scrub. Every time, it has left my skin so so soft. I don’t really have pore problems, so I can’t speak to that. Even though I like this product, I don’t think I would repurchase. It’s too expensive! But it does seem like very good quality.
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $38 USD
Shade: “Prosecco Pop” – True, ethereal gold, that flatters medium to deep skintones; perfect for anyone who wants a flash of golden radiance.
Claims: “A bestselling, creamy, highlighter powder to light up your best features with a high-shine finish. Like a spotlight for your skin, Shimmering Skin Perfector® Pressed Highlighter lights up your favorite features with high-impact, ultra-reflective shine. Inspired by the dazzling light of the midday sun, this iconic formula is enriched with ultra-fine, luminescent pearls that absorb, reflect, and refract light to amplify your natural radiance. The multi-toned pigment pearls adjust to your skin’s natural undertones. Unlike traditional pressed powders, this unique formula blends pigments with liquids, to create an unparalleled, creamy feel that applies seamlessly for a silky finish that never cakes. The result: a high-shine, elegant finish that doesn’t look glittery.
What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- All Becca highlighters are such great quality, and this one is no exception.
- This highlighter is very smooth, and swatches so beautifully. Isn’t that swatch above truly gorgeous?!
- It has great pigmentation and blends out flawlessly.
- Luckily I didn’t already own this colour. However, that is because this highlighter is definitely too dark for me. But, it will be great in the summer when I am more tanned. Until then, I can use it on my eyes.
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $20 USD
Shade: “Homeslice” – Peachy Nude
Claims: “A full coverage, transfer-proof liquid lipstick with a quick-dry matte finish. Offers vibrant, opaque color with concentrated mineral pigments in a liquid-to-matte lip paint that dries instantly with no transferring. The featherlight Comfortflex formula means it moves with your lips without drying out, cracking or bleeding.
- dermatologist tested
- This liquid lipstick is pretty pigmented. It applies smoothly and just needs a bit touching up to make completely opaque after the first layer.
- The applicator is a step shape, so the doe foot fits the curve of your lips nicely.
- This liquid lipstick is a tiny bit drying, but not unbearable. It dries down completely, with no stickiness even if you applied with lip balm underneath.
- This lipstick has got to have the best staying power of all liquid lipsticks out there. Every time I have swatched it on my hand, it is literally impossible to remove with oil, micellar water, whatever. You literally have to just let your hand be stained for days (until that skin layer rubs off I guess). Don’t let this worry you about how it will behave on your lips. It lasts well, but does mostly come off (for some reason) if you do try to remove it. Black magic? Who knows. But stop staining my hands!
- I don’t think that this liquid lipstick layers that great throughout the day. If you need to touch up, make sure that you don’t add too many layers, because the texture does get a bit weird.
- Overall, this is a pretty good liquid lip!
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $18 USD
Claims: “Carrying the right beauty essentials can save you from a serious mani emergency! Luckily, this travel kit has you covered with the five essential manicure tools, no matter where!
- Nail File
- V-Shaped Push Stick
- Rounded Push Stick
- and Beauty Scissors”
- I know I do a lot of nail stuff on my blog here, but I literally have zero interest in this nail kit. I have all of my own supplies that I love, so I haven’t even touched this one yet. However, it will be a good back up at work.
- Would have preferred that shadow stick that everyone else got!
Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price: $5 USD
Shade: “Brown Sugar” – There is no description of this shade, but it is definitely not brown. More like a deep red with some black/brown in it.
Claims: “Master any desired lip color and produce long-wearing staying power with Jontéblu Lip Liner Pencil. The creamy, highly pigmented formula glides on effortlessly. Can be used for flawless lip contouring, worn alone, or as a long-lasting base for any lip color.”
- This is a wooden liner.
- It draws pretty smoothly and it is fairly creamy.
- I would not wear it all over my lips for a full lip look because I think that it would be too drying.
- I do think the shade that I received was a bit peculiar considering the shade of the liquid lip. But whatever! The products don’t have to go together I guess.
- Overall, I think it is a fine liner. Nothing outstanding, but it’s nice to always have more liners added to my collection, as I am always too cheap to buy liners! Deep ones are a must have though, especially this time of year.
Well that’s it for all of the items in this month’s BoxyCharm! Overall, it was killer! I think the facial exfoliator, highlighter and liquid lip really made it worth it! Especially in terms of price!
Box Worth: $139 USD
Did you get the October BoxyCharm? Now that you’ve had a while to try some of the products, what are your thoughts? Comment down below what you think!