Over the last month I have been nominated for three more Liebster Awards! Thank you so much to Sarah from Vintage Tea Rose, Sarah from lifewithlilred (Sarahs love me apparently XD) and Teresa from Teresa’s Big O(pinion). I would be so happy if you would check out their blogs!
Sarah from Vintage Tea Rose writes all about beauty, books, lifestyle and decor. The aesthetic of her blog is so clean and pleasing to the eye, and the quality of her pictures is unparalleled! Recently, she posted a “Holiday Morning Routine” and it was really fun to learn about and sort of follow her through her morning.
Sarah from lifewithlilred writes really diverse blog posts, including of course, our favourite topic, beauty. She also writes about music, photography, literature and home decor! She has such a popular blog and I would really encourage you to check it out. I’m loving her Halloween posts right now! She just posted an amazing post about how to have a Halloween-Style Bash and the pictures are just wonderful.
Teresa from Teresa’s Big O(pinion) is a fellow makeup addict who shares my mission of purchasing all the makeup in the world (pretty sure). Her blog is relatively new, but I really enjoy her posts. She really puts herself and her opinions into it, and doesn’t just stay at the surface with a plain review. Girl’s got an opinion, and I can totally respect and support that!
Back to the award!
Since I posted my first Liebster Award, I have become aware of some updated rules that I will be following. The official rules of the Liebster Award can be found at The Global Aussie.
“The Liebster Award 2017 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.”
The updated rules for 2017 are:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog.
- List these rules in your post
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. There are actually a whole bunch of Liebster award images to choose from, so I have included all of the ones from the posts from which I was nominated!
- Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Answer the questions asked by your nominators and provide 10 random facts about yourself (optional).
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have a less than 200 followers.
- List 10 questions for your nominees to answer
- Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them to your post.
My favourite blog of the moment: Tigritsa Beauty
Tigritsa and I have been chatting basically since I began my blog. She is a fellow Canadian and a beauty lover (of course!) She blogs all about beauty items, subscription boxes, and of course lately, the holiday sets that have been released, ESPECIALLY the Sephora Favorites Sets! #1 addicted person. In addition to all of the great content, her photos are incredible. She takes amazing flat lays that really just take your breath away.
Not only is her blog very interesting and relevant to my interests, she is so nice and always makes sure to comment on my posts and respond back when I comment. She is the type of blogger who really cares about her audience, and we all know that that means a lot in the blogging community. I have so enjoyed getting to know her over the last couple of months, and I just know that her blog is going great places! Make sure you check out her blog tigritsa.net, and her instagram @xoxo.tigrita
Answers to the questions asked
Sarah from Vintage Tea Rose’s Questions
- When you are old, what do you think children will ask you to tell stories about from your life? They might ask me about my experience working with marine animals in university. I have worked mainly with marine snails, but also with stickleback (a type of fish).
- What animal would be cutest if scaled down to the size of a cat? Wow, this question! Umm, wouldn’t mini giraffe’s be the cutest thing?!
- When did something start out badly for you but in the end, it was great? When I was doing my SCUBA ticket, I had a lot of trouble during one of the first lessons with clearing my mask (blowing out all of the water from your mask if it gets flooded, with your nose). I am very much a nose breather, and I breathe very shallowly, naturally. Sometimes I will randomly sigh, and that is because my body is forcing me to breathe. Sometimes I forget to breathe!! Therefore, it is very hard for me to switch efficiently from mouth breathing to nose blowing, so I was maybe not going to pass that learning objective. However, I totally got over it in time for the next class, I think it was just a brain thing. After I got my ticket I went scuba diving in the Bahamas and it was so much fun!
- What “old person” things do you do? What old person thing do I not do? I knit, cross stitch, garden, bake, bird watch, quilt etc. etc.
- What makes you roll your eyes every time you hear it? When someone asks the same question over and over, and it is just minorly rephrased, to double check, triple check, quadruple check something when they know the answer well. I get very annoyed when someone wastes my time. How many times do I have to answer this question? In a row?!
- What was cool when you were young but isn’t cool now? (but you wish still was) I wish going trick-or-treating was still legit. I definitely hung on to that as long as I could. I think I went until after Grade 9.
- If you could know your future, would you want to? Yes, I think so. That is a hard one, but I think there is something to be said for planning if you can.
- How/why did you pick your blog’s name? Because my name is Nova, the one nickname that all the creative geniuses loved to use in elementary and middle school was Supernova. Also Nova Scotia. I decided to reuse my childhood nickname for my own purposes. Why not?
Sarah from lifewithlilred’s Questions
- Really good makeup or really good skin care? It depends what “really good” means. If really good means high-end, then skin care. I can definitely live off of drugstore makeup, and a lot of my favourite products are drugstore (foundation, mascara).
- Do you have a favorite vacation that you’ve been on? Bahamas last Christmas! We rented a house on Eleuthera.
- Is there a certain type of landscape that you prefer (Beach, mountains, etc.)? Definitely mountains. I have grown up around mountains my whole life, and when I go to flatter places, it just feels so open and weird. I love a dynamic landscape.
- What is something that you admire about your best friend? Her ability to be so kind, and so accepting, no matter what.
- What was your favorite childhood toy? I had a really sweet remote-operated Barbie car that I liked to drive around my house when I was between 4-7 years old. This Barbie car was especially interesting because it was a bit of a ghost car. It would suddenly start driving around by itself from time to time. I think it was picking up on radio waves!
- Favorite junk food? Ice cream
- Describe a perfect date night. No date night at all. Lol.
- What is your dream job? University professor that teaches and has a research lab.
- Who is your celebrity crush? Ian Somerhalder
- Best concert you ever went to? I’ve only been to the Black Eyed Peas (wow that was a while ago, and guess what? Rhianna OPENED for them!), Metric and the Black Keys. I have also been to a few music festivals. Metric was probably the best concert, because I love almost all of their songs and it was a really great performance.
- Are you going to dress up for Halloween? If so, as what? Actually, no. I have to chaperone a field trip this weekend for the third year undergraduate course that I am a lab instructor for, to a marine station that is about 5 hours away. We will spend the whole weekend there, and that is the weekend that all of the Halloween parties will be happening. My original plan was to be a gypsy/fortune teller, but I’ve gotten out of that! I always love the idea of Halloween, but when it comes to it I’m too cheap and lazy to put a lot into my costume. This year was going to be the year that I put effort in, but I got the easy out!
Teresa from Teresa’s Big O(pinion)’s Questions
- Why did you start blogging? To be honest, I started because I knew it would be eventually required for my Influenster profile. Blogging is a great way to get reviews out there, and I wanted to increase my chances of qualifying for a VoxBox. However, blogging for me has turned into so much more than that, and it did so quickly after I got started. I genuinely enjoy creating content and sharing my love for certain products. Additionally, blogging has really forced me to ACTUALLY use my makeup products. I used to be notorious for buying eyeshadow, and then not using it. I used to only do winged eyeliner on the daily with no eyeshadow, cause it just felt like too much work for the daily. I would only use eyeshadow on special nights out. However, I have really improved my skills and now I love to wear eyeshadow and create new looks almost every day. I also love interacting with the beauty community. I never thought that I would make any connections, but to my surprise I have made some real, genuine connections that I consider friendships.
- If you were stranded on a desert island what’s the one non-survival item you’d want to have? My cat Java. Although, she is pretty important for my survival.
- What’s your favorite holiday? My favourite holiday used to be Christmas, but I don’t really enjoy/celebrate holidays any more. I don’t live near any of my close family, and it’s not the same without them. I actually prefer to not celebrate holidays anymore. Sorry to shock you!
- What’s the scariest thing that’s ever happened to you? I’ve been in a couple of car accidents due to hydroplaning, and that has been very scary. I am nothing short of cautious when it is rainy now.
- Since we’re all makeup/beauty bloggers, what’s the one makeup or beauty item you always use, even when you’re sick/rushed? I always use everything, to be honest. The only steps in my routine that I cut out are eye liner and eyeshadow.
10 Random Facts
- I worked for 8 years in different coffee shops through high school and my undergrad. I am a very accomplished barista! (brag brag). Now that I don’t work in a coffee shop, sometimes I miss being able to make my own specialty drinks. I also judge baristas that serve me, hard core. But only if they are incredibly slow and are not doing things efficiently.
- Every year I make my mom’s pumpkin pie recipe for thanksgiving. The recipe is Estonian. What makes it special is that when adding in the eggs, you separate out the whites and whip them to make them fluffy. This makes the whole pie filling a lot lighter. I am a total pumpkin pie snob and I basically don’t enjoy any pumpkin pie other than my mom’s recipe because they are all too dense and the flavour isn’t right.
- I named one of my current cat’s, Daina, after a character in Zoey 101 (anybody know of or remember this show?). This was a teen show that played on the Family Channel (I think). Daina the character was actually a huge b*tch, but I liked the name. I’m sure it was spelled differently, but this was the spelling I chose.
- Gossip girl will probably be one of my favourite shows for the rest of my life. I am Blair Waldorf, and I hate Serena, PS. I have always wanted to dress up as Blair for Halloween. One year! I definitely have some headbands that would work, and also I have an outdoors-style hat that could work too.
- I actually started getting really serious about painting my nails in high school to battle an OCD tendency that I have. I have stress-induced OCD that results in me picking at my skin, especially at any imperfections or scabs. This has caused heavy scarring all over my arms. This is a total unconscious behaviour that I have had since my childhood, and it has been very difficult to stop. My intention was to start painting my nails so that I could pick at the polish, however, I then became too attached to keeping my nails pretty and I started doing nail art, so it didn’t work! However, I have been a lot less stressed since the start of my MSc (strange I know, but in comparison to my BSc this is a cake walk), and my arms currently have no scabs on them and they are looking really great. Progress!
- I probably own like 30 scarves. Scarf addict here. Actually, what am I not addicted to, that is material? I probably come from a long line of hoarders.
- I have lived on my own since I was 18. I LOVE living alone and I’m not sure how I would ever live with anyone again…
- At my university, we now have a Women in Science group. I am soon to be the Director of Grants and Funding, which is the committee that applies for grants, and accumulates donations for the events that we host. We are also in the process of establishing scholarships for outstanding women undergraduate and graduate students at my university! Overall, it is really great to be part of an initiative like this, and surprisingly, it was something lacking from my university, while almost all other universities across Canada have similar organizations. The time is now!
- I love watching figure skating. My favourite skater is Patrick Chan. Kind of love him and his crazy eyes.
- I have never dyed my hair. However, that will be changing very soon as Influenster is sending me a Clairol VoxBox, that I believe has red hair dye in it. I am pretty nervous, however I am only going to dye the underside of a portion of my hair so that it only peeks through occasionally, and when I have my hair up. I think it will likely look good, especially during this season. It also won’t be all that vibrant since I have dark brown hair.
I am supposed to nominate blogs that have under 200 followers. I have gone by what WordPress tells me, so if you have over 200 WordPress-specific followers, I am sorry for my error!
Here are my questions for you:
- If travel was something everyone did as a rite of passage growing up where would you recommend they go and why? (one country only)
- When you have a writer’s block what do you do to work it out?
- What movie can you watch over and over without ever getting tired of?
- What’s the most epic way you’ve seen someone quit or be fired?
- What actors or actresses play the same character in almost every movie or show they do?
- What mythical creature do you wish actually existed?
- If someone narrated your life, who would you want to be the narrator?
- What are you interested in that most people aren’t?
- What’s something people don’t worry about but really should?
- What’s the craziest conversation you’ve overheard?
Lastly, I just want to say thank you again to Sarah, Sarah and Teresa. I am so appreciative, and it is definitely fun to write these kind of posts. Although, when I let them stack up like this, they actually turn into quite a bit of work! I hope you enjoyed reading my answers, and I so look forward to reading the posts from my nominees!!