So far on this blog I have only been doing beauty reviews, and that is mainly what my blog will consist of. However, I was nominated for the Liebster Award by Grace (thanks Grace! You can check out her blog here), which is basically just a way for everyone to get to know each other more. It also allows people to discover great new blogs.
Here are the rules for the Liebster Award:
- Display the award, and thank your nominator.
- Give 11 random facts about yourself.
- Notify them.
- Give them 11 questions to answer.
Here are my answers to the questions asked by Grace:
- What is your dream job? If I am being realistic (and I usually am, as I am a realist), I am hoping to become a university professor that teaches and runs a research lab. This is what my main career goal is and I am well on my way towards that. However, if I were to think of some crazy dream job that is not realistic, potentially it would be to be a Youtube beauty guru.. Of course I love the idea of doing huge PR unboxings and testing makeup for free etc. It would be so nice to sort of “not” have a job, where you just hang out at home and film videos, test makeup etc. Although, I think it would end up being a lot harder than it looks.
- What is the most unusual food you’ve ever eaten? I can’t say that I have eaten a lot of unusual food. The most unusual cuisine I have maybe had is Trinidadian. They have a street food called “doubles” which is basically a fried dough with a chickpea mixture inside that you can add hot sauce to etc. They are very good and I actually didn’t have to travel to Trinidad to have them (although going to Trinidad would be pretty cool). We have a local restaurant where I live, that offers doubles on Saturdays.
- Who inspires you the most? I know that this should be an easy question, but for me it really isn’t. I can’t say that I’ve ever really had a model or idol that I have really looked up to ever in my life. I did not idolize my parents, and I have never idolized any one particular celebrity. When I need inspiration, I’m not who I would go to. What I do know, is that marine animals inspire me. When I was in high school I got to hold a sea urchin, as we had a saltwater tank in my school. Holding that sea urchin made me realize that I am super interested in marine life, and that is what has set me on my current trajectory. Currently I study marine snails for my Master’s degree.
- What does your perfect evening consist of? Basically Netflix and chill lol.
- What’s your favourite colour? I’m going to have to say it’s a tie between purple and pink. A good amount of my clothes are these colours, so I get a lot of comments from my friends on my outfits saying “you must really like that colour”. Ok thanks, sass much.
- If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be? Tati, the glam life guru! Favourite beauty youtuber hands down.
- Favourite thing about yourself? I seem to be able to pick up hobbies pretty easily, and be good at them pretty early on. I’m not sure if I have some particular attribute that allows me to do this, but you will see in question #11 how many hobbies I do have.
- Something that never fails to cheer you up? My cats. I have three cats that are all siblings and they love to cuddle. They will never scratch you or bite you, they just want to netflix and chill with you.
- Favourite junk food? Ice cream forever.
- Celebrity crush? Ian Somerhalder from Vampire Diaries!! I haven’t watched the last few seasons, but I own the first 4 (5?) and I have maybe watched those 6 times over (maybe more).
- Do you have any hobbies? Ok here we go: Gardening, baking, nail art/painting my nails, makeup (obviously), knitting, cross stitch, quilting, painting, drawing, kick boxing, anything DIY, shopping, reading, bird watching, and school (does that count?). I am sure there are more but that is a good sampling. From that list I am sure you are inclined to think that I am very domesticated and grannyish, however it’s weird because I am the least domestic and one of the most independent people I know. I can’t explain it. Here are some pictures of the fruits of my hobbies.
Roll over, or click on some of the images for the caption.
Ok, here are 11 facts about me:
- I have 9 piercings, 8 on my ears, one on my nose.
- I am of Estonian heritage (half Estonian, one quarter English, one quarter Scottish), which is a small baltic country. However, I have never been to Estonia and it is my dream to visit there one day.
- I have recently become obsessed with true crime. I have always had an interest in watching dateline mysteries, and fictional mystery shows like Midsomer Murders etc. However, recently I have started listening to this podcast called My Favourite Murder (with Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark), and now I have really been sucked in. I know it sounds macabre, but it’s two comedians from LA who discuss true crime, and I find it really interesting. It also helps that these ladies are comedians, as it helps alleviate the stress level of the content a bit. Now I read a lot of true crime books as well.
- I have done very little travelling in my life. The only travelling that I have done has been in the past 5 years. My first time on a plane was 2 years ago. I have done a road trip down the west coast of the US, and earlier this year I was in the Bahamas. Other than that, in Canada I have only been to Alberta. I live in BC. In the future I absolutely want to go to Bali, and I am hoping to do my PhD in Europe.
- I have been in school for 18 years straight. I went straight from high school into my undergrad, and from my undergrad into my Master’s. I probably have 5-6 more years ahead of me if I decide to go on with my PhD.
- I mentioned earlier that I have three cats. These are actually the children of my old cat, Mocha. She has hit by a car and killed when my present cats, her babies, were only 2 weeks old. She had 5 kittens, so after she died I had to bottle feed them and basically raise them. This is why I kept 3! They are seriously my children.
- I have my scuba diving ticket. When I was in the Bahamas earlier this year I went diving which was amazing. I saw Southern stingrays, Green turtles, Barracudas, and of course lots of fish. My ultimate dream is to go diving in Bali, because they have a crazy diversity of animals there.
- I have recently become tea-obsessed. I always used to be a coffee lover and I couldn’t understand the allure of tea. However, late last year I discovered David’s Tea and now I have around 30 different varieties, and I almost never drink coffee. Tea is just so much more fun now that I have choices. And basically another hobby. I think I like to collect things..
- On that note of collecting things. I really like to collect mugs.. I have maybe 20. I live by myself by the way. I just can’t help it, I really like mugs. And especially the pretty tea mugs that change colours etc. from David’s Tea.
- My favourite marine animals are Nudibranchs, or, sea slugs. They sound terrible, guess what? They are SO cool! Nudibranchs are marine snails that have lost their shell overtime through evolution. Because they have lost this defence they have come up with other ways of defending themselves. 1. Some species have gained the ability to swim. 2. Some can autotomize (self-cut; think of a lizards tail that can pop off when grabbed) their appendages when a predator grabs on. 3. Some can release chemicals that smell bad to predators. I studied one type of nudibranch who smelled like watermelon when disturbed. Guess I’m not a predator cause that smells delicious! 4. Some eat jellyfish. You know how jellyfish can sting you? They do that with structures called nematocysts. So some species of nudibranch, when they eat the jellyfish they can actually reuse those nematocysts as a defensive technique. 5. Some eat sea sponges, which have hard silica spikes woven within their structure. Similar to the last point, these nudibranchs can eat the sponge and reuse these silica spikes as defence. I told you nudibranchs are cool! They are also extremely diverse. Here is a screen shot of the google images results for nudibranch.
- I will not consider a guy unless he likes cats. It is a must.
Well, I hope you enjoyed getting to know a bit (or a lot) more about me. Like I said, the purpose of this blog is sharing my love for makeup, however this provides a nice little change of pace.
I’m going to nominate:
Please visit these other blogs, as they are all very interesting and unique.
I look forward to seeing all the posts from my nominees and read a little bit more about you all.
Here are my 11 questions for you to answer:
- If you were granted three wishes, what would you ask for, and why?
- If you could only do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Has any movie or book made a huge impact on you?
- What is your biggest pet peeve?
- What does your name mean? Why were you named it?
- Do you believe in “love at first sight”?
- What’s the furthest you’ve ever been on a holiday?
- Which is one rule that you are proud of breaking?
- What can totally impress you?
- What’s your first thought upon waking up?
- What are three physical features you often get complimented on?
I’m excited to read your answers to these questions and I hope that you enjoyed getting to know more about me.
Thanks for reading!